Search Menu
Home Latest News Menu
Asia News

Massive Attack face police investigation after displaying Palestinian flag in Singapore

Members Robert "3D" Del Naja & Grant "Daddy G" Marshall displayed the flag at the close of the band's July 29 show

  • Words: Amira Waworuntu | Image: South China Morning Post
  • 31 July 2026
Massive Attack face police investigation after displaying Palestinian flag in Singapore

[This article was updated on August 2, 2026 to include the joint statement by the police and IMDA plus the statement by Massive Attack.]

Massive Attack performed at The Star Performing Arts Centre in Singapore on July 29, their first full show in the country in 15 years.

The group closed their show with members Robert "3D" Del Naja and Grant "Daddy G" Marshall holding up a Palestinian flag as they exited.

During their show, the band also shouted "Free Palestine", which prompted the audience to join and continue the chant, according to Channel News Asia.

Earlier in the set, the band told the audience they had pulled a song, citing "local laws", not mentioning which one it was or giving further information.

Public display of foreign national emblems without a permit or exemption is punishable by a fine of up to SGD500 (USD387), up to six months in jail, or both, under Singapore law.

A video of the flag moment was posted on Reddit's r/SingaporeRaw. The original post has since been removed, though the comment thread is still visible.

Read this next: Massive Attack refute claims that they used surveillance tech at live shows

Police have confirmed on Friday, July 31, that reports have been lodged due to the display of the Palestinian flag by Del Naja and Marshall.

The Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) are also "investigating a possible breach of licence conditions".

Read this next: Massive Attack share new music for the first time in over a decade

The Bristol band has built a reputation for outspoken political stances, with recent concert visuals targeting U.S. tech firm Palantir while spotlighting conflicts ranging from the U.S.-Iran war to Sudan, Gaza and Ukraine.

Promoter Lushington Entertainments said it would "fully cooperate with the relevant authorities as required".

On August 1, the police and IMDA issued a joint statement that ultimately led to the banning of Del Naja and Marshall from the country.

“Upon completion of investigations and after careful consideration of the facts and circumstances of the case, the police, in consultation with the Attorney-General’s Chambers, administered stern warnings to both men for the offences of Section 3 of the Foreign National Emblems (Control of Display) Act and Section 16 of the Public Order Act,” said both institutions via the joint statement, adding that both men will also be banned from re-entering Singapore.

The group will also not be granted any future performance applications from the IMDA due to this ban.

On Sunday, August 2, Massive Attack released a statement on Instagram, claiming that they were "surprised and disappointed" that they were detained and that some members went through hotel room searches and temporary passport confiscation.

They also claimed that the audience "organically led" the "Free Palestine" chants, and also thanked the people of Singapore for making them "feel so welcome" towards the end of their statement.

Read the full statement below.

Amira Waworuntu is Mixmag Asia’s Managing Editor, follow her on Instagram.

Never miss a beat. Subscribe to our Scene Report newsletter or follow us on Instagram.

Load the next article
Loading...
Loading...