Falling straight into the arms of house music, Gigi Lee has carved her own way through China’s dance floors with tasteful and adventurous selection. The Shanghai based DJ was spotted over five years ago with her standout style and attitude, landing her a strong position in the crux of the fashion-meets-music world — Gigi has been named Shanghai IT GIRL by That’s It to YOHO GIRL by YOHO, followed by a spot on Boiler Room which then landed her a show in Greece and a top spot at Creamfields in Xiamen.
While holding fort in her house and electronic archive, she keeps her music spectrum pretty wide open, saying that she likes to “spend a lot of time listening to music in different genres, from house to techno, from jazz to classical, from psychedelic pop to post rock, from hiphop to world music…In my set, you can hear influence of all these elements. I also believe that music is one of the best ways to deliver messages to people, so I enjoy playing tracks that have inspirational speeches/vocals.”
Our conversation quickly went into a brief silence of what I could only assume was her diving into deep thought, and then she continued, “I had this strong urge to share this journey of how my mind and emotion evolved during the isolation to all the fans of Mixmag Asia because I know people out there can feel me, I know I am not alone. Under the coronavirus outbreak, we panic, we get lost, we try to stay positive and strong, but we still wonder ”what’s next?” So, the set starts with The Hacker - ‘Radiation (More Radiation Mix by The Hacker)’ with my vocal edit ‘ISOLATION’, and then it goes to tracks from my favourite producers including Disclosure, Detroit Swindle, and finally ends with Aphex Twin ‘4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26] (Original Mix)’."
For Mixmag Asia Radio, Gigi has delivered a sweet message of positivity inspired by these current times of quarantine and lockdown, hit play below to enjoy the ride with Gigi Lee.
1. The Hacker - Radiation (More Radiation Mix By The Hacker) (Gigi Lee Vocal Edit)
2. Redrago - Shalom Alanation (Club Version)
3. Cassy - Beat Your Feet (Original Mix)
4. Alex Arnout -Phantom Power (Original Mix)
5. Sonny Fodera, Biscits - Scratch My Back (Original Mix)
6. Armand Van Helden -A Track Called Jack (Low Steppa Deep Vibe)
7. Disclosure - ENERGY (Original Mix)
8. Gat Decor - Passion (Naked Mix)
9. Detroit Swindle/Jitwam - Coffee in the Morning (Original Mix)
10. JT Donaldson - Changing Times (Original Mix)
11. Denney - On & On (Original Mix)
12. Martin Ikin, Elisabeth Troy, Low Steppa - About Time feat. Elisabeth Troy (Original Mix)
13. Ange Siddhar, Illan Nicciani - A Night At The Club House (Original Mix)
14. Sonny Fodera, Gene Farris - We Work It (PAX Remix)
15. Aphex Twin - 4 bit 9d api+e+6 [126.26] (Original Mix)